Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cosmo Tested, Lydia Approved: DIY Hair Masque Recipe! Spa Night In!

Sometimes, your hair needs a little extra TLC! With the colder weather, my highlighting habit, and love of trying out new products, mine has been in need of some extra revitalization lately! Since I was unable to sleep earlier (blasted insomnia!) I decided to have my own little mini-spa night! 

In the April issue of Cosmopolitan magazine, there is a featured article called, "Head Shakes" with a fun DIY Hair Masque recipe called, "Strengthener" from The Hair Treatment Bar at TheBroot. Since the recipe looked good enough to eat, I figured it must be nurturing for my hair, and decided to give it a try! Below are a few pictures of the process!

I have to say that I am VERY pleased with the results! My hair feels silky and is incredibly shiny! I will definitely try to add this into my routine at least 2-3 times a month! My biggest suggestion when applying the hair masque would be to do so while you're in the shower, after you've dampened your hair. I tried dampening my hair in the kitchen sink, and then applying my hair masque, and it was just a bit too chaotic to apply in the kitchen. It would have been easier and less of a mess to do so in the shower, so next time I'll be doing that! Once I applied the masque to my hair, I combed it through to saturate my hair root to tip, and then used a spider clip to hold my hair in place. I put a disposable shower cap on, used a hair dryer to warm up my hair and help the masque absorb better, and then applied my re-usable zebra cap over it to seal in the heat while I let my hair soak in the mask for about 15-20 minutes. Once it was time to rinse everything out, it was a cinch! I then followed up with my shampoo and conditioner, and it was that simple. I love the terrific results that this DIY hair masque gave my hair! It looks much more shiny and healthy now!

I adore DIY recipes simply because I do not think that beauty routines should cost you your life savings! I love how I already had everything I needed to make this hair masque right in my own kitchen! 

Spa Night In!

Hair Masque Recipe I followed
All of the ingredients that I used:
-1/2 banana
-1 egg
1/4 cup of water
-1 tablespoon each Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, and Honey.


Ninja time! 
I decided to blend all of the ingredients together so that the masque would be more uniform in size, and easier to apply to my hair.
 Blending!
The finished product! 
Apply this to damp hair and let it sit for about 15 minutes while you read a magazine and drink some tea! 
Rinse out in the shower, and then follow up with shampoo and conditioner like you normally would.
 Since I decided to make a DIY hair masque, I thought it would also be fun to try out one of my facial masques at the same time.Tonight I used the 7th Heaven masque in "White Thai Mud", that I received a while back in a beauty subscription box. I applied it to damp skin and left it on for the same length of time as I left my hair masque on (about 15-20 minutes). After I rinsed it off and moisturized, there was a noticeable difference in the smoothness of my skin! Since it only took a small amount of the masque to cover my entire face, I was able to save the rest in a plastic bag, and will likely get three or four more applications out of it. Yay! 

No comments:

Post a Comment