Monday, August 9, 2010

EGG-xcelent!!

Let me preface this post by saying that I am out of almost everything in my kitchen right now! Milk, bread, you name it, I need to make a trip to the grocery store today! Since I cook almost everything I eat, I needed to come up with something for breakfast today. Necessity is truly the mother of creativity! Pretty much the only thing that I had left in my refridgerator today was a small carton of eggs. I was starving and feeling a little inspired, so I thought I would try a new spin on one of my favorites.

I used 4 egg whites (I detest the taste of egg yolk in a plain omlet or fried eggs. I only use an entire egg when I'm cooking a dish that requires whole eggs.) Once I seperated the yolk/white into different bowls,  I added a pinch of EVOO (also had a tiny bit in the skillet), tinsy pinch of garlic salt, parsley flakes, dill weed, black peppercorn, white sea salt, and a small sprinkle of monzorella cheese. (I never really measure things out, I always just eyeball it.) I whisked everything in the bowl and then added it to the skillet and let some magic run its course! The result was amazing!! I normally make my eggs with a pinch of honey, fat free lactose free milk, sea salt, black peppercorn, garlic, nutmeg, & butter. My normal recipe is more of a warm, filling dish...what I made today was a very delicious, savory dish (it would be great for brunch or even with some shredded baked chicken for a dinner omlet)

Here are a few pictures from this morning's breakfast! (Sorry the pictues aren't the best, I didn't think to take any until after I had already cut up everything on my plate! It tasted wonderful though!!)

Even though I don't like egg yolk personally, I'm not a fan of wasting food. So, I always cook a little plain omlet for Ranger with what I have left aside. (If you want to do the same for your dog, just be sure to leave out any garlic, onlin, milk, cheese, salt, etc & make sure that you thoroughly cook any eggs before feeding them to your pet. I normally just make his plain. If you're not sure what is safe to feed your pet, do your research and talk to your vet.  The ASPCA has a good link on their website too. ) Ranger only gets "human food" in his doggy bowl to discourage begging. ( "People food" can be very good for dogs as long as it's fed in moderation, your pet does not have an allergies/medical conditions that would contridict supplementing a reglar diet, and you do your research first: Some of Rangers favorites include:  baked boneless/skinless chicken, brown rice, plain yogurt, carrots, cooked eggs, etc)  I cut down his normal dry food portion according to whatever else I give him to keep his diet balanced.

Ranger enjoying his breakfast after a hard morning of training drills!





No comments:

Post a Comment