Thursday, August 12, 2010

Leisurely Literature!



I am having heart surgery on Monday. I am NOT thrilled about that little detail, but I am hopeful that I will get a better quality of life back after I make a full recovery. Since I don't want to be glued to a television the entire time I recover (and I won't be able to do too much else) I decided it was high time that I FINALLY indulge a little bit and get some of the books that I've had on my "book wishlist" for an eternity now! Typically I just rent books from the libary, but the last few times I've gone, they didn't have a single one on my list, so I figured it was time to pay Barnes & Noble a visit! (For those interested, Amazon and www.half.com have an awesome selection of books at really low prices too!)


For well over a year and a half I have been consumed with school and clinicals. EVERY book I read was a medical book. Every spare second was devoted to memorization, studying, &  pretty much living in those medical books. Since I am on a break from school now until my heart surgery is over and I recover, I thought it was time to read something a little more pleasurable!
Today I took a fun little trip to Barnes & Noble and picked up some of the books I've been dying to read! Today's list includes:


"Isaac's Storm"-Erik Larson
"The Time of My Life"- Patrick Swayze and Lisa Niemi
"Free To a Good Home" - Eve Marie Mont
"Sh*t My Dad Says" - Justin Halpern
"Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India, & Indonesia" - Elizabeth Gilbert
"Small Miracles of the Holocaust"- Halberstam/Leventhal
"A Dog's Purpose"- W. Bruce Cameron
"Australian Shepherds: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual" - Coile


-I plan to write a little review on each one. Hopefully they will all be great! I have a much longer list than those 8 books, however I thought I would start with those for now. Typically my list would include a Shakespeare play, something by Rev. T.D. Jakes, and a Michael Crichton book, but I decided to break away from my normal mold and go for something else this time! The next time I go to get books, my list will likely include:
"Where There Is Love, There Is God : A Path to Closer Union with God and Greater Love for Others"- Mother Teresa


"I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" - Tucker Max


"Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea" &  "My Horizontal Life : A Collection of One-Night Stands" - Chelsea Handler


"The Help"- Katherine Sockett

"Falling Apart in One Piece"- Stacy Morrison

and several more!

1 comment:

  1. chelsea handler!! lol... she is so bad, butttt funny sometimes ;) call me if you need anything chica! praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete