Monday, January 30, 2012

The State of the Union Address 2012

Last week I set aside time to watch President Obama's State of the Union Address. ( I actually typed up this blog post last week and just forgot to post it!) To be honest, I thought he did a fantastic job!  I found that the speech really summed up the President's vision for the future of our country. Now my pessimistic readers (if they exist, right?!) might be thinking well, "what people say and what they do can be two different things sometimes", and that is correct. However, I'm hoping that the President follows through with a lot of the things he mentioned as I think most of them would be beneficial.


At this point you might be wondering about my political affiliation, right? Well, I'm more of a Centrist than anything (Similar to Libertarian, but a bit different). A Centrist is a middle of the road type person and a big fan that both large political parties should meet in the middle on certain issues to try and work out things for the benefit of our country as a whole, instead of being divided. I am conservative on some things (abortion, the right to bear arms) and liberal on others (health care). I honestly just go by what issues strike me more so than the political party with the best propaganda. I definitely enjoy putting in my own research and learning about both sides of each issue; I think doing so makes me a more educated voter. And on the topic of my privilege to vote; I take advantage of that every single opportunity I have though local, state, and national elections! I firmly believe that it all truly adds up and makes a difference. 


Regardless of my affiliation, I find it of the utmost importance to support the brave men and women that fight to ensure and sustain the freedoms I enjoy, as well as the Commander in Chief who oversees our nation. I pray for all of them and try to do the best I can for my country by being a productive member of society through the things I do in my day to day life (volunteering,etc). I also think one of the most important things we can do for our country is to educate ourselves on the issues our nation faces and make smart decisions by taking advantage of our voting privileges and using them wisely during each election. 


....Ok, Stepping off my political soap box now! Have a great day my lovelies!...




In a side note, I thought the most sweet and touching moment of that night occurred before the President gave his speech. It absolutely melted my heart and put a huge smile on my face to see Arizona Congresswoman, Gabrielle Giffords (who had been previously injured in a tragic shooting), embrace President Obama with a huge bear hug. It showed the compassion and kindness that was in both of them and I really thought that was such a wonderful moment! (Doesn't Gabrielle Giffords look terrific?!?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment