Need a yummy idea for dinner? Want to use the ingredients you already have at home? Try this one out! It's one of my latest recipes, and is very "substitution friendly". This recipe takes about 20 minutes to prepare and serves four.
Turkey Sausage Pico de Gallo with Penne Pasta
(Despite the terrible picture quality, my recipe tasted quite delicious!)
1/2 bag of Cheddar cheese (could be substituted with most other cheeses! Use what you have!)
3tbs Sour Cream
2TBSP EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) This is an approximation; I eyeballed it!
1lb Turkey sausage (substitutions: sausage, bacon, turkey, chicken, or ground beef; use what you have!)
1/2 cup Lactose Free/Skim Milk (Use whatever you have! Heavy Whipping Cream makes a thicker sauce).
1TBSP Dill Weed
1/3 tsp Basil
1 cup Pico de Gallo
1 tsp Minced garlic
1/4 cup White onion (minced)
1/4 tsp Louisiana hot sauce
1/4 tsp Sea salt
1/2 tsp Black peppercorn
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (original)
1 box Penne Pasta (White, Whole Grain, Etc...use what you like!)
1. Boil water for the pasta in a large stock pot
2. In a separate sauce pan, saute onion and garlic in skillet on medium heat with EVOO.
3.Add in sausage, seasonings, and hot sauce. Brown meat until cooked thoroughly.
4.Add pasta to boiling water; cook until al dente. Set cooked, drained pasta aside (coat lightly with EVOO)
5. Add in milk and sour cream to skillet. Stir well!
6. Next, add in the Penne Pasta (cooked/drained) and stir into the mixture.
7. Add in cheddar cheese. (Feel free to substitute amount and type of cheese to what you have at home)
8.Cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens. (If sauce is too thick, thin out with milk.)
9. Top with more shredded cheese and freshly grated black peppercorn.