Thursday, March 22, 2012

Homemade Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener: Thank you, Pinterest!

I recently came across a recipe for homemade fabric softener on Pinterest and thought it sounded great! I actually had everything on hand that I needed, even down to the specific conditioner mentioned in the recipe; I found that the conditioner itself wasn't thick enough for my hair type a few months back. So although it smelled terrific, it was just left sitting in my linen closet because it wasn't the right match for my hair. Enter the idea of re-purposing it into a fabric softener for my laundry...Genius! Since I've discovered Pinterest, I've had such a fun time trying out all sorts of fantastic ideas! If you don't know about Pinterest, you should check it out: www.pinterest.com


Before I continue, I want to say that all credit to this source goes to One Good Thing By Jillee's Blog . 


This recipe calls for only 3 ingredients. It takes only a few minutes to concoct, and will undoubtedly save you quite a pretty penny every time you do your laundry. That's a win-win in my book! I've tried it out on several loads of laundry now, and I have to say that I am very pleased. I'm pretty picky about the products I use, so if it passed my test, it's a keeper! (In a side note, I have sensitive skin and didn't experience any negative side effects from using this.)


What you will need:
-Water
-White Distilled Vinegar
-Conditioner
-Funnel
-Clean, Empty 1 gallon jug (I used an empty jug that once held distilled water from Target in it. It had a screw on top which made shaking up the product very easy!)
-Cute containers and labels for storage (optional)


Recipe: 
-6 cups of water
-3 cups of white distilled vinegar
-2 cups of conditioner (I used Suave's Rosemary Mint Conditioner)


Combine all ingredients into a clean, empty 1 gallon jug with a funnel. Put the lid on the jug and mix everything together. That's it, you're done! How simple was that?!


To use it in your laundry, simply add it to the "fabric softener" dispenser in your laundry machine the way you would any other laundry detergent, or pour it into a Downy Ball. If you would rather use it in your dryer, you can soak a clean dishtowel in a bit of the fabric softener and then toss it into the dryer with your clothes. It will make everything smell lovely and reduce static! 


Enjoy!

Notice the empty wine & olive oil bottles? I'm planning to put a pump-type lid and nice labels onto them soon so that they will make cute fabric softener dispensers! (Did you know that most olive oil and wine bottles with screw tops will fit empty soap dispenser tops? Re-purpose those little gems!)
Finished product! 
Be sure to give the container you store yours in a little shake before each use so that everything is mixed thoroughly.


No comments:

Post a Comment