Monday, March 12, 2012

Groucho Marx ruined my childhood!





Today's blog post is about Groucho Marx...or rather, how the bastard pretty much ruined my childhood with his popular rendition of a particular song! It's been a while since I've had anyone obnoxiously sing the song, "Lydia the Tattooed Lady" to me. Much to my dismay however, it happened again on Sunday while I was out running errands. You lovelies have no clue how close I was to slugging the daylights out of a boisterous old  man with my massive purse, when he erupted into that song! As soon as he saw my first name on my card when I went to pay him, his eyes had a disturbing gleam to them and then he just erupted into song! The song that tormented me throughout my entire childhood. The song about a tatted up lady who happened to share the same name as me. I was THISCLOSE to boxing him upside the head with my purse for that impromptu serenade! However, since my purse weighs more than most toddlers, I decided to spare the old guy a concussion and practice a little bit of restraint instead. 


I don't get it! Groucho Marx and his infamously creepy mustache passed away in the 1977, and I was born in 1985. Why are people still singing that horrendous song to me?!?!?!?!?! It is not what I would quantify to be a timeless classic by any means!


Screw you Groucho Marx, and your stupid song too! I am not the tattooed lady! (For the record, I don't even have one tattoo!) It was bad enough as a child that people would CONSTANTLY ask me if I had seen "Beetlejuice", and make references to that movie because of the lead female character, Lydia. This obnoxious song always topped that though! We're talking traumatizing, scar me for life, here folks!

If you have a name that's in a well known song, I'm sure you can relate to my frustration when people, even total strangers, constantly sing it to you!


(Remember to pause the music in the right side bar before playing this video)




In a random aside, I think the main reason that I love the movie, "Office Space" so much is because of the Michael Bolton character, and how he constantly gets asked about the musician that shares his name! Needless to say, I feel his frustration! 

No comments:

Post a Comment