Sunday, July 1, 2012

Pinterest Tested

I thought it would be fun to start regular blog posts on Pinterest pins that I try and review! Those of you who follow my boards know that I'm addicted! (Ok, if there were an AA type club for Pinterest addictions, I would need that!)  If you're not already following me on Pinterest, feel free to click the button in the top right hand corner! :) 

Today I'm doing the review on the "Tub Cleaner - vinegar and dish soap, no scrubbing!"  pin. 
(Sorry in advance, I forgot to take pictures of the before/afters!)

I was very excited to try this pin! I have a lot of heart/lung issues, so I can not use strong smelling chemicals to clean my home. I prefer more natural alternatives; they are safer for both myself and my pets. I am also VERY picky about the cleanliness of my home. My mom has owned her own cleaning business since I was a small child, so cleanliness is a way of life in my book! (Especially with the number of pets I own; I prefer my home not have "furball tumbleweeds" rolling across the floor when I entertain, so I clean often and never let things pile up).

Keep in mind that when I reviewed this pin (tonight), my showers were already pretty darn clean; I just never let them get too grimy in the first place (gross!). I tried this pin out tonight to see if it would make my bath tubs even more shiny, clean, and polished. 

It did not! This pin was a big fat fail! 

Here's what you're supposed to do:

Mix one part heated white distilled vinegar (90 seconds in the microwave) to One part blue Dawn Dish Soap into a spray bottle. Shake it up and then spray your bathtubs down. Let it sit for 30 minutes, and then wipe down your magically clean bathtub, with NO scrubbing needed. I followed the directions exactly. (For those of you wondering, you're supposed to heat the vinegar so that it will keep the dish soap from clumping and make it spray easier out of the spray bottle). 

I followed the directions and then came back 30 minutes later to my guest bathroom expecting to see a magically shiny, polished surface with a gentle swipe of a cloth. FAIL! Nearly another 30 minutes later, I had finally scrubbed (and cursed) it clean of the horrid soap scum that the Dawn part of the mixture left behind! This pin's recipe did NOT clean my already clean bathtub or make it more polished. What it did do instead, was leave behind soap scum EVERYWHERE. It took me an eternity to clean it all up and polish my tub back to normal again. Once I finished with my guest bathroom, I ran into the same issue in my master bathroom tub that I had sprayed down as well. It took me forever to clean the soap scum off of both. I really wanted to love this pin and wanted it to work, but I have to say that I am very disappointed and can not recommend this one!

In a side note, I'm also wondering just HOW filthy and dirty the other pinners' tubs were that left positive comments on the website? Seriously, did they have a 2in thick layer of soap scum, mildew, and grime in their tubs? Maybe it worked for that. For someone who maintains a clean tub/shower and just wants to keep it polished, clean and nice: all this pin does is leave behind a soap-scummy disaster of a mess behind! (That you WILL spend an eternity scrubbing away!)

(For those of you wondering, you're better off  using a paste of baking soda, lemon juice, and vinegar and a scrub brush to get your tub sparkling! (You can also use hydrogen peroxide). Bleach and lemon juice is another combo that works well, but it can be irritating to the lungs/eyes, so I prefer the first combo, or a natural cleaner from the store).

No comments:

Post a Comment