Sunday, February 26, 2012

CGC, AKC Brake's Femme Fatale! She passed her test!!!!!

I have a bit of exciting news to share with you lovely readers: My sweet Australian Shepherd, Mykelti,   passed her Canine Good Citizen test today! Yay!! I've been preparing her for this test since I brought her home as a young puppy. The CGC test shows that handlers display responsible pet ownership skill, that your dog has a sound temperament, and that your dog is reliably trained. Mykelti is my second Aussie to pass this test on the first try; I absolutely love working with Australian Shepherds, they're so smart! Her big brother, Ranger, is a Canine Good Citizen as well, and also a registered therapy dog. I'm currently working with Mykelti to help her follow in Ranger's paw prints on her way to becoming a registered therapy dog! It takes at least a good solid year of training and preparations to really get them ready for these tests, so we have done our best to continually train and diligently work together.  The CGC test is essentially an unofficial "mid-term" evaluation for therapy dogs-in-training to see how their skills are. It is a pre-requisite for the therapy work that we do, so I am thrilled that Mykelti preformed well today! She still needs a bit more training to prepare her for the Delta Society/Pet Partner's evaluations in a few weeks, so we will be pressing forward and training even harder! (The PPSAT test is a  22 part Skills/Aptitude test and she and I will need to preform near flawlessly in order to pass.) So, please continue to think of us and pray as we continue to train and prepare! I so enjoy going on visits with Ranger and seeing the smile and happiness that he brings into the lives of others through the gift of therapy work. I can not wait to have a second wonderful dog as my partner as well! 


CGC, AKC Brake's Femme Fatale...aka "Mykelti"
(Taken after she passed her CGC test today! 12 months old.)


CGC, AKC Brake's Lone Ranger & CGC, AKC Brake's Femme Fatale
Both of my little CGC'ers, Ranger and Mykelti! I'll be training my Pit Bull x, Macy next for her CGC test if her health holds up! 




Are you interested in training your dog to become a Canine Good Citizen? It's not just for therapy dogs, your pet can take the test too! It can help you with lower insurance rates and even land you into the housing you want by showing others that you and your dog are both responsible members of your community! If you would like to learn more, please visits THIS link to the AKC's information! If you are local, I'd be happy to recommend some excellent training facilities. If you life out of state, the American Kennel Club has a list of training facilities and CGC evaluators on their website that should be able to help you out! 



No comments:

Post a Comment